The blog for Peter T. Chattaway, film critic, journalist, religion junkie, etc. Not all posts will be film-related, but film will always be just around the corner.
Thursday, May 03, 2007
Saved! -- the Broadway musical!
Variety reports that Saved! (2004; my article), the comedy about a Christian high school student who gets pregnant by her gay boyfriend, is coming to Broadway in 2008. Maybe this time they'll get some Christian rock bands to contribute some music!
Broadway?? OMG! I saw this movie and I liked it as a social commentary by Christians about other Chrisytians and meant for digestion by other Christians. But I don't feel it's beneficial/productive for it to be tossed out there for mainstream and/or non-Christian people. I feel this way because I suspect the only viable avenue for this story to take as a Broadway production is for it to deride the Christian religion into pathetic charicature. Now the film didn't do that because there was more subtlety to it. But that kind of subtlety will almost assuredly get lost on the stage, and larger brushstrokes will regrettably be resorted to, and ... I just don't think it will casue people to leave the theatre thinking Christianity in general is a god thing.
Broadway?? OMG! I saw this movie and I liked it as a social commentary by Christians about other Chrisytians and meant for digestion by other Christians. But I don't feel it's beneficial/productive for it to be tossed out there for mainstream and/or non-Christian people. I feel this way because I suspect the only viable avenue for this story to take as a Broadway production is for it to deride the Christian religion into pathetic charicature. Now the film didn't do that because there was more subtlety to it. But that kind of subtlety will almost assuredly get lost on the stage, and larger brushstrokes will regrettably be resorted to, and ... I just don't think it will casue people to leave the theatre thinking Christianity in general is a god thing.
ReplyDeletetypo: "a good thing."
ReplyDelete